Today I wanted to share with you my favorite products I’ve been toting around with me the last eight months of pregnancy. The collection has grown and changed a bit as each trimester has brought its own set of challenges, but long term, these are the things I’ve clung to while being away from home. Which, I’ll be honest can be a little unnerving on the more challenging days. I don’t enjoy when my body functions are off and I get a bit anxious when I’m in public to deal with it, but these essentials have given my mind some ease as I’ve carried on out and about throughout pregnancy.
1. I make sure to always have a little notebook with me to document any part of my pregnancy that I might find interesting or unusual. If it’s unusual, I’ll refer back to the notes at my next appointment with my midwife and all the rest I keep for my own posterity. I’ll use the information for my Pregnancy Diaries which I hope to refer back to next time around.
2. Peppermint essential oil has become a staple in my handbag and on my side table. It works to get rid of nausea in minutes and also helps when I’m walking by smells that may turn my stomach more than usual. I just rub some into my temples or (if I’m really desperate) will dab just a drop under my nose.
3. In my Port and Polish case, I’ll bring all my pharmacy necessities including Acetaminophen, pre-natal vitamins, antacids and Magnesium. Ladies! If you suffer from ANY kind of migraines, you need to try taking Magnesium. I tried everything and this is the only thing that I can rely on every time to bring relief. There’s nothing better.
4. I’ll also carry my glasses with me if I’m not already wearing them. I like to wear contacts when I’m out in the world, but if I’m not feeling great during the day, it’s a nice treat to take them out and replace them with glasses.
5. In my beauty bag I like to carry a moisturizing lip treatment of some kind. Pregnancy in the winter has led to a lot of dry skin including my lips. It’s led to carrying lip products with me everywhere: handbag, coat pocket, bedside table, desk, coffee table, robe pocket- anywhere I can leave one, I have left one.
6. Like my lips, my hands have also suffered from irritation. My favorite lotion these days is the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream. It’s thick and give instant relief but also rubs right into the skin and doesn’t leave an oily residue.
7. Another First Aid Beauty product that I love is the Triple Eye Remedy. What I love about it is that it’s a moisturizer with just a slight tint so in addition to adding moisture, you can also counteract any dark circles from a lack of sleep.
8. I’ll also carry along some setting powder if I find myself touching up my under eye makeup throughout the day.
9. I couldn’t be more thankful that hair clips are back in style. It’s been a perfect solution for when I’m out on a blustery day or just reach the end of my rope having my hair down. I find that a pony tail holder tempts me to throw everything up in a tight knot on my head which isn’t good for my hair or headaches. So the clip encourages me to try a little harder.
10. Water. ALL the water. I haven’t been able to get enough throughout my entire pregnancy. It keeps my stomach feeling calm, keeps all my swelling down, keeps my body detoxed and helps keep my digestion regular. My favorite toting device is the bkr 500ml glass bottle. It’s the perfect purse size and the glass ensures that my water isn’t being polluted by plastic all day and also helps keep the liquid cold as I’m out and about.
11. SNACKS. Ladies, if you’re pregnant, you need all the snacks. And I know it’s hard, but the healthier you can keep them the better. It will keep your stomach settled and also give you the energy you need to be out in the world. If I’m feeling nauseous before leaving the house, I might include some crackers, but I usually can be found with a bag of carrots and an apple in hand. Basically, pregnancy has turned me into a rabbit.
12. Lastly, I’ve found carrying mint tea bags a lifesaver. If I’m at a friend’s house, I might ask for a mug of hot water and found that most restaurants will give you hot water for free if you ask for it. The warm, minty liquid has been gold in keeping my stomach easy. Plus, if you’re in a restaurant with smells that aren’t agreeing with you, just hold the mug to your face and breathe in all the wonderful minty steam. It’s a winner.
Those are all the things that have kept me moving while away from home. Hopefully some of them will provide you some comfort as you leave the house. It can be intimidating to do so when you’re not feeling at your best, but if you can find a good routine of essentials, it gets easier.
Until next time!
*Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links as well as products that were sent to me for review. All opinions given are my own. To read more, visit my Disclaimer page.